Keep Her

Saturday, September 17, 2016


I received an ARC of this from the author to review so I can't speak for the final copy, but I definitely had issues with this. 
Let's just get the bad out of the way first, yeah?

Technical errors. My god. I know this was an ARC and it wasn't fully edited, but I expect authors to polish up this draft more than this one was. In the first fifteen pages alone there were dozens of issues. My red pen got one hell of a workout. Yes, I'm a grammar snob, but still. ARCs are usually edited a little or the author has a nice, polished draft for it. This had tons and tons of grammar and sentence structure issues. If this had been the final draft out for publishing, the first fifteen pages would've turned me off so much I wouldn't have even finished this.

There wasn't really much of a plot. This was super light on plot. So there wasn't a ton to keep me interested. I like a strong, interesting plot and this didn't really deliver. 

Okay. On to the good (ish).

The characters were pretty strong. I liked Aiden a lot, and Maddie wasn't bad, either. But they weren't so strong and captivating that they hooked me and drew me into the story.

I really enjoyed Aiden's letters throughout this. They helped the story out a lot and made me feel more connected to Aiden. However, I do wish there had been more about Aiden's struggle about his daughter. It ended up being more of a background story, and I would've liked having it focused on more.

This was more of a road trip/plane ride kind of read for me. Not engrossing, but a quick, nice read. This definitely had potential, so I am curious what changes were made in the final draft.

So this wasn't my favorite but I can see a younger reading crowd liking this.


** I received this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Free Blogger Design Made By The Dutch Lady Designs